Dangerous candy

Brach's Jube Jel Cherry Hearts

I have a candy problem this time of year.

I’m not sure where it began, but I’ve had for almost two decades.

I love Brach’s Jube Jel Cherry Hearts.

As my friend Alexa says, “they usually get stuck in your teeth, so you taste them for a few hours.”

Yes and Yes.

There’s a good and bad problem with this candy. The good thing is, I found 6 bags in the store on New Year’s Eve at the Ankeny Hy-Vee.

The bad news if I didn’t get those six bags then, I won’t be able to get more bags by the 15th of this month when I finish those six bags. They are in limited supply and only come out for Valentine’s Day.

I took the boys to the store on Friday afternoon and told Noah about my love for the candy. I said he could have one when we got home. His steel trap mind held that nugget until we got home when before he had his coat off, he was asking for a jube jel heart.

“Mmmmm, I like it, Daddy,” said my great and wonderful son.

Problem is, now I have to share.

My father used to by Jube Jels back when he had candy in his truck. That was always the fun to ride with dad. He usually had some form of candy squirreled away in his pick up. The only problem was, you had deal with the second-hand smoke. He’s since quit smoking, but the candy lives on.

I’ve looked for multi-flavored jube jels in the store and tried them, but they just don’t taste the same.

My mother helped the habit by sending a few bags in a care packed to my Wartburg mail box.

For now, I’ll just enjoy my favorite holiday candy while supplies last. Maybe operators will be standing by to find more of the good stuff.

Extra points for family readers

One of Dad’s roommates from college, Jim Thomas called Mom and Dad to say Jim’s wife, Terry passed away on Sunday, January 2nd. Terry and Jim moved to California several years ago from Cedar Rapids. I still keep in touch with them and just got done reading their Christmas letter. They had a daughter, Laura, who was close in age to me. Laura was once visiting the house and took a swing with a baseball bat. Ask my sister Kris how that ended.

We would visit Jim and Terry in Cedar Rapids during their years there. That was my first experience with the city of 5 Smells. We would wind through back roads to get to CR. It was no 40 minute trip like it is now. This was before 380 was open.

Jim and Dad were roommates during Dad’s time at Iowa State. They were around my parents from the very beginning. If they didn’t set them up, they were there early on. Jim even stood up with my Dad during my parent’s wedding.

According to Jim, Terry had been weak lately, needing frequent breaks from even simple tasks. She had been out to dinner with friends on Sunday when she collapsed in their home. She died a short time later.

Extra point two: Another family member is ailing. Burdett Neal, husband to my dad’s cousin Jan, is in hospice at the Veteran’s Home in Marshalltown. Burdett retired from “Deere’s” several years ago. Burdett has been in the Vet’s home for almost a year, if not more, as his health had deteriorated recently.

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s