From our friend Captain David Struckman of the Davenport Police Department. He’s always good for the obvious and using common sense. He’s a good guy and good officer.
It’s winter in IOWA and it’s SNOWING!!
A few things to remember:
- Plan ahead…slow down, especially when turning or approaching a stop sign or signal, remember stopping distances increase dramatically
- Drive with your lights on when visibility is less than perfect
- Do not drive unless ALL of your car windows are completely free of snow and ice
- Clear snow from and use your windshield wipers as needed
- Be patient and courteous
- DO NOT park on a POSTED SNOW ROUTE until the snow has stopped and the roadway has been cleared, curb to curb.
- Clear your sidewalks as soon as possible; do not throw the snow onto the roadways. Cleaning your walks makes it possible for pedestrians to use them and not dangerously walk in the streets.
- When outside, dress appropriately, stay hydrated and rest as needed.
- Regularly check on elderly friends and relatives and assist them as needed.
- Do not play near snow plows are construct snow caves near roadways
- Enjoy the beauty of the snow